Tips for Breeding Challenges

Asymmetrical
Sept. 9, 2019
4 years, 7 months ago
Edited 4 years, 7 months ago by Asymmetrical

It seems that most of you struggled with the August breeding challenge. I talked with solyyy about this at length recently. Since everyone seemed to struggle I'll tell you here what I told her.

The Mossms DNA system is fun when you have a full ancestry of different DNA. I agree that it is cool to see what you'll get when you have lots of things in the DNA. However, when you want something specific the trick is to eliminate as much unwanted DNA as possible from the ancestry before breeding. While it is possible to get what you want with a crazy ancestry full of lots of different DNA it is easier and more reliable to start from scratch. So unless you already have pure lines that you have worked on then the better approach is to start from scratch.

Colors
For this challenge if I didn't already have a pure line I would instead begin with 2 starter Mossms containing the colors that were required for the challenge. I would breed them on the planet with that contains the secondary dna that I want - in this case an eye from planet 3. *Note:* colors can only pass from parents. There are no colors available on the planets so you will only get Mossms with the colors that you want.

By breeding two brand new Mossms with the exact colors that I want on planet 3 (in this case pink and blue) I am guaranteed to get one of the following:

• Solid Pink
  • Solid Blue
  • Pink/Blue Zebra
  • Pink/Blue Gearhead

There are no other blends available to get because there is no additional DNA in the ancestry that can be passed along and there are only two blends available on planet 3.

Eyes
Eyes are a little bit more difficult but if there are no other eyes in your ancestry you are guaranteed, at some point, to get an eye from planet 3. So, I would breed on planet 3 until I got a solid pink or solid blue Mossm with the eye that I want. For sake of this discussion lets say I got a solid pink Mossm with the Quark eye. I would then take the solid Pink Mossm with the Quark eye and pair it with another blue starter Mossm on planet 5 to work on the blend and eye combo.

Blend + Eye
Now you have two Mossms to breed that only have solid pink, solid blue and the Quark eye in its DNA. When you breed these two Mossms it cannot pass any other traits because they don't exist in the ancestry. A new baby from these two Mossms can only have DNA from the ancestry or DNA from the planet.

When you pair these Mossms on planet 5 the number of traits possible is similar to when you were breeding on planet 3 except that the available blends change and an additional eye becomes available from the planet dna. When these two Mossms are paired together, these are the available options for your offrpsing:

• Solid Pink (from your Mossm DNA)
  • Solid Blue (from your Mossm DNA)
  • Pink/Blue Honeybadger (from the planet DNA)
  • Pink/Blue Ringtail (from the planet DNA)
  • Quark Eye (from your Mossm DNA)
  • Flowerpie Eye (from the planet DNA)

As you can see the number of DNA options are limited so your odds of getting a Ringtail with the correct color combination is good!

We also know that Flowerpie eyes are more difficult to obtain and pass than Quark eyes and there are no other eyes to choose from because there are none in your ancestry. So Quark eyes are more likely thank any of the Flowerpie eyes.

Pure Blood Lines
The process above is also the process you would use to build a pure blood line if you wanted such a thing. When you breed, only use Mossms that have traits that you want. The key is eliminating traits that you don't want! Once you have a pure blood line you can quite reliably get the exact DNA you want.

More difficult Route
Now, as a counter example, lets take a look at this Mossm that Alma used to try to get the eye and see how many different possibilities there are compared to starting with fresh Mossms (assuming you don't already have a pure line to work with): http://mossms.com/p/Alma.draegonne/mossm/Rayulo.

Possible Colors:
  • Darkblue
  • Rainbow
  • Pink
  • White
  • Violet
  • Lightblue
  • Darkgrey
  • Lemon
  • Red

Possible Blends:
  • Panda
  • Honeybadger
  • Ringtail
  • Fawn
  • Dottyback
  • Solid
  • Stargazer

Possible Eyes:
  • Juice
  • Valentino

In my example there were 2 possible colors to obtain on planet 5. In this example there are a total of 9.
In my example there were 2 possible blends to obtain on planet 5. In this example there are a total of 7.
In my example there were 2 possible eye types to obtain on planet 5. In this example there are 2 in the DNA and 1 from the planet for a total of 3 (none of which are the eye that was needed - making the eye requirement impossible with this Mossms ancestry).

Summary
As you can see, there is a trick to getting exactly what you want. It does take time but it is much more reliable than putting Mossms together with lots of different DNA in it.

You might think that it is expensive to buy new Mossms to start over however, I would argue that starter mossms cost much less than the food required to earn the resources to do 50-80 breeding sessions on planet 5, which some of you say you did.

Challenge
I challenge you to play with this approach and try to build a pure line of something you love. It will be valuable on the market when your favorite DNA comes up on the breeding challenges!

Alma
Sept. 9, 2019
4 years, 7 months ago
Edited 4 years, 7 months ago by Alma

Hello, you explain it very well, but the difficulty was getting an eye from a different planet, I explain:
My first goal was to get the coat, and as you saw I did it easily (Dotty cannot be obtained in Faunarosa) the rainbow and red are more difficult than pink, so there was more chance of getting it, and blue is the easiest , I was lucky, then I looked for mossms with those colors and that they had the eye that you asked for, I had enough of an old challenge in which you asked for pink and the same eye, I had whole trees pink with Quark eye and I used them for breeding with Rayulo and his offspring, I also had ringtail trees that I used, I got the coat several times, but the eye didn't, or I got Flowerpie, or a new eye color on the tree, I got the Quark 2 times, but the coat didn't.
The challenge is not impossible, but it is very difficult or you have to be very lucky.
Maybe with more time ...
I spent several couples breeding every day of the challenge several times and I didn't get it, maybe I had bad luck, which can also be :)

Hugs!!

Asymmetrical
Sept. 9, 2019
4 years, 7 months ago
Edited 4 years, 7 months ago by Asymmetrical

Hi Alma,

You are right it was a difficult challenge. The way I explained to do it is the easiest and most efficient way to do it. Any other way is much much harder but not impossible.

Also, I just used your Mossm as an example of how things go wrong because you posted a link to it. I don't know how you used it once you got the proper blend. It just had lots of DNA so helped support my example of less DNA is more.

I hope you have better luck on the September Challenge!

Best,
Asymmetrical

You must login to reply.